High Performance Teams
We facilitate offsite and onsite top team development workshops, including:
- Shaping organisational strategies
- Managing successful change
- Enabling innovation and creativity
- Facilitating BPR initiatives
- Creating team purpose and identity
- Shaping team vision and values
- Developing BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals) and team goals
- Building teamwork capabilities
- Enabling better collboration
- Cross team collaboration
- Building high trust teams
- Facilitating intensive feedback
- Measuring team performance
- Creating employee engagement
Tailored programs and team effectiveness workshops
These programs build on core coaching skills for leaders, talent management and employee engagement programs and use the latest team and individual profiling tools to encourage mutual understanding. Team building is about Team Excellence, rather than just team games in isolation. It is those efforts in which a team studies its own process of working together and acts to create a climate that encourages and values the contributions of team members. Their energies are directed toward problem solving, task efficiency, and maximizing the use of all members' resources to achieve the team's purpose.
Great team building recognizes that it is not possible to fully separate one's performance from those of others. Powerful teams of people working collaboratively and towards organisational goals are critical for organisational success.
High performance teams:
- Share a passionate purpose, a clear sense of identity and awareness and respect for the shared values of the team
- Know where they are coming from and where they are headed with clear stakeholder level outcomes and action plans
- Have robust data for how the team is performing and their opportunities and strengths both individually and as a team
- Demonstare exceptional levels of openness, trust and constructive confrontation
- Actively seek feedback, individually and as a team
Team Effectiveness Survey (TES)
The TES is the beginning of a data driven process that dramatically improves team performance and business results.
The team effectiveness survey gathers anonymous data about the team and individual member's current performance. It is a straightforward yet powerful tool to measure the current state of the environment and to decide upon a clear plan of action to vastly improve direction, vision and development of the team and leads to increased performance levels.
Journey to High Performance
"The individual feedback session, although confronting in many ways, was an incredibly useful and positive exercise for the whole team."
Linda Fulford, Managing Director
Fulford Public Relations
Without conducting a structured analysis of the present state, organisations are unable to understand their major performance issues and what specific performance goals they wish to move towards. The organisation may then remain 'in the problem' and focused on what they want to move away from, rather than proactively focusing on their desired outcomes.
When the TES is complete, the data is collated, analysed and consolidated into fact based information.
The findings are presented to and reviewed with the team members and personal feedback is given and received by each team member in a carefully facilitated offsite meeting.
Before team members give individual feedback to one another, they are provided with essential tips and techniques on how to give and receive constructive feedback.
"71% of top performers who received regular feedback were likely to stay on the job, versus 43% who didn't receive it" Watson Wyatt Worldwide.
The process we call 'feed-forward' provides employees with the direction and motivation to change their behaviour, or to continue their performance with increased confidence.
"Promotions and pay rises are no longer granted to workers solely based on years of service. Performance has become the catalyst for getting ahead in most companies. As employees see this, they naturally want to know how they are doing……. In surveying what employees in American Express want most from their employer, the number one desire at 46% was personal feedback. This compares to 32% who said they most wanted financial rewards." American Express all employee survey, reported in USA today.
Leaders who create an environment of open, honest communication and who provide regular, constructive feedback, create opportunities for their employees to grow, perform better and make positive contributions to the entire organisation.
Benefits and Process
Developing and enhancing team performance can result in substantial business benefits through improved communication, collaboration and open confrontation.
Teams that work better together are those that naturally collaborate to create win-win outcomes for the organisation, using open, honest and direct communication styles and adopting a solutions mind-set. These teams plan and prioritise effectively and get better results faster.
The basis of successful team development is in four areas:
- Self-awareness and awareness of others
- Communication, collaboration and influencing skills
- The ability to set shared vision and build on shared values, goals and priorities, then driving action
- Leading innovation and being successful change agents
Our Team Development workshops are constructed for senior management and other leadership teams, either of whole companies, business units, or functional areas and markets.
We incorporate the benefits of Team Climate Surveys on leadership, teamwork and communication and focus on driving the teams we work with to transformational action using a focus on values, identity, purpose and through driving feedback and direct open and honest team communication.
Alternative approaches for team development focus on one time interventions of usually one or two days with a team to use models that help them collectively focus on team goals, prioritise better, communicate better, understand each other and collaborate better
Your Checklist for a High Performance Team
- Team goals are developed through a group process of interaction and agreement. Each team member is willing to work toward achieving these goals
- Participation is active by all and roles are shared to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and generate a feeling of unity
- Feedback is actively sought by team members and freely given, focused on evaluating the team's performance and clarifying both feelings and interests of the team members. All feedback is ‘feed-forward’ based on a desire to help the other person
- Team decision making involves a process that encourages active participation by all members
- Self Leadership is distributed and shared among team members and individuals willingly contribute their resources as needed
- Problem solving, discussing team issues, and critiquing team performance are encouraged by all team members
- Conflict is never suppressed. Team members are allowed to express negative feelings and confrontation within the team which is managed and dealt with by the team. Dealing with and managing conflict is seen as a way to improve team performance
- Team member resources, talents, skills, knowledge, and experiences are fully identified, recognised, and used whenever appropriate
- Risk taking and creativity are encouraged. When mistakes are made, they are celebrated as a source of learning rather than reasons for punishment
We help achieve this excellence leveraging established best practices and working with you to support cultural change in all of the above areas with our high impact team learning techniques. We also include the use of Myers-Briggs (MBTI®) profiles, FIRO-B® styles and needs, conflict resolution with Thomas Kilman, and role clarification with Parker Team Player. 360 Degree Feedback can also be used for the team as a whole and individually for team leaders, to provide actionable feedback and establish metrics to measure behavioural and performance improvement.
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.